Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Buying Used Curriculum


Here in TN we start school in August, but we end in May. Well it is time again to purchase the curriculum. I am trying to find as much used as I possibly can leaving the last two weeks of July to order the items I can not find used. We will be using Math U See this year, I found a great deal on the Epsilon which my eleven year old will be using. I am having a hard time finding used materials for this program priced well. The teacher's editions are $35.00 each, they are selling used for $30.00 postage paid. While this is a $5.00 savings along with shipping and tax I would like to get it at $30.00 and pay media shipping. When purchasing used there are a number of things to be aware of. First make sure you have the catalog number or ISBN number, this will allow you to make sure you are getting what you want. I have seen a number of individuals selling items they say are current but are not. I don't think they are trying to be deceitful they are just unaware there have been changes. Bob Jones updates and revises their materials on a regular basis making it harder to resell. Know how much the item you are seeking are new and visit a variety of used curriculum boards, this will help you to see if the used prices are consistent. Ask questions remember you are purchasing the materials and have a right to know just what you are getting. Decide what condition you would like the materials to be in, no writing or markings, no water or other liquid damage, no tears etc. Most student consumables will have some type of writing in them decide if this is a problem or not, for me I purchase these new. Others use white out and copy or scan the pages to use, not a bad idea but I do not have that kind of time. I prefer to stay away from ebay for used curriculum and use a variety of yahoo egroups and a variety of used homeschool boards. While Vegsource is a great site for finding curriculum I prefer to stay away from them for a variety of reasons. First the web site for me on dial up takes way to long to load, second they monitor who posts and have put up blocks which block others from posting. I am not sure how this is possible but I have experienced it. Before this happened I did all my business on Vegsource and never had a problem buying or selling with the other posters. Visit yahoo groups to find used homeschool curriculum groups set your mail to daily digest or you will be overwhelmed with emails. The used curriculum boards I frequent are listed below along with comments on each one.


Homeschool Christian
Registration is required to post includes message boards for advice, buying and selling used curriculum, easy to navigate.


Used Homeschool Curriculum
Also requires registration to post easy to navigate each subject has its own board includes a board for discussing curriculum.


Homeschool Reviews
One of the unique aspects of this site is the reviews tabs. Registration required discussion boards and buying and selling board.


Homeschool World
This site has an extensive message board section for not just buying and selling, but for special needs, laws, getting started, portfolios and so much more. Easy to navigate registration required.


Homeschool Classifieds
This site is just as active as Vegsource. Searches are conducted by either subject, grade or author/publisher, you can also conduct a search by title. Each subject is listed in alphabetical order making it easier to search through. I also like that when you wish to contact an individual you are taken to a new window to send your message. You will also receive a confirmation email of an email sent.

No comments: